Saturday, December 02, 2006

R2I - Our boxes are here!

And it feels so surreal. All the meticulous packing in our Calif garage, then sending the boxes away in a truck and now seeing them here in our Bangalore home, feels strange. It took exactly 2 months for these boxes to travel the seas and get here.
We used WorldWide Ocean and Air Shipping Lines Inc. for shipping. We are really very happy with their service. They picked up the boxes from our Calif home and delivered it at home here. They also delivered it in the promised time frame. They kept the paper work easy and simple. After the boxes arrived here, my hubby had to go to the customs to get the boxes cleared, and pay some duty. Once the boxes were out of the customs, the shipping company did the rest of the delivery. It cost us about $1 per pound (lb), though that is not how they charged for the shipping.

Seeing our stuff from there made me miss our Calif home. We loved our home, the community, our wonderful neighbors, the beautiful mountains, park etc. When I missed everything, I was just glad that we still had our home there. We may never really go back for good, but when I do miss our home, I don't have to feel real terrible. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi chitra,
It is wonderful to read your blog. We are planning to move back to bangalore in a month or so. I am curious to know what is in those boxes. We are wondering what to take, what to leave behind. So please tell me what is in those boxes, atleast give me an idea so I will know what is more useful and what is not. thanks

Anonymous said...

It is the same anon as above... Can anyone give me some shipping info and also tell me what is the thing which you felt is worth taking and what is not ? I am trying to pack and going crazy here.

Chitra said...

Anon, welcome to my blog. I can understand how you must be doing. What you asked is a very good question for this blog. I am working on a list. Give me a few more hours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chitra,
I was really relieved to read your blog and I am looking forward to reading your list. You have no idea how helpful it will be to our family.
Thanks
Same anon as above

Unknown said...

Chits we are planning on shipping some stuff too when we come back. Cant stop buying u c :-(

Will probably chat with you on an approximate cost on shipping/ duty etc..sometime.

Anonymous said...

I am not a R2I but building a house in India and would like to send some stuff, would apperciate if you can give an idea about pricing. I dont have a container full but few boxes to ship. TIA

Ranjini said...

hi chithra,
i stumbled upon your blog, while looking for information about moving to india. We are currently living in NJ and plan to move. You have lots of useful info, thanks. i have one question, are you allowed to ship food products ? and also alcohol ? If it's not too personal, can you also tell me, how much did your shipping cost in total. It seems like we might have the same amount to ship.

Shashi said...

Hi Chitra,

First think the blog is excellent, very informative. Secondly I like u'r name coz that is my Sister's name too who lives in Bangalore.

Regarding the shipping, it says on their website that "In process of clearance, any duties or taxes payable at destination shall be paid as per applicable tariff of the country where goods are imported."
.... so did you have to pay any extra amount, were you carrying any electronics. I believe there is customs relaxations for people returning to India for good.

Unknown said...

strange to listen this comments from the companyies prospective because i have have been born in banglore and i have expirianced the traffic of bangore but here the advantage for wallmart will be that the people are rich in money,culture,friendly nature,low crime rate as well the weather when compare to other metros this might look funny or not so attractive when we think as per companies view i my self want to start a buisness and i mainly targeting to the above points to include to keep a friendly relation with customer to keep the walkin floe equally in retail so i am looking for a whole sale dealer from where i can purchase the good at the cheapest rate may
thanks & regards
mansoor pasha